Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How old to be left alone?
Next year my son goes to senior school locally.  If arrangements stay as they are, he'll need to get the bus to school from mine but can walk to school from hers.  We have a shared care arrangement at the moment and are cooperating.

He'll be 11.  He's savvy and streetwise, but not necessarily the most responsible kid.  I used to do a six-mile 2-bus journey to and from my school at his age.  Is he old enough to come home and be on his own for a couple of hours until I get home, do you think?
It depends on how sensible he is - some kids are 11 now are far more sensible than I ever was(am).
The opinions here are not that of Separated Dads, but merely a loving father who has been through the process and has come out the other side.
He's pretty sensible. He knows what's dangerous and what not to touch.
Be cautious when under 12, maybe short periods. Up to the age of 15 then longer is OK.

https://www.gov.uk/law-on-leaving-your-child-home-alone
The best thing would be if you could find him a after school club or he could make his way to a leisure centre for a swim if close by or maybe go round a friends house for tea. I dont think at 11 being on his own at home would be the best idea. if you are getting on with your ex maybe you could ask what she suggests.
Travelling home on his own should be ok but not being left in the house on his own (even though I was! And I did almost electrocute my sister by sticking a knife in the toaster when the toast got stuck). But not being left in the house on his own. Too risky. The world is a different place too. I believe they encourage children to travel or walk home on their own once they're secondary school age but not to an empty house. Could he travel to grandparents instead and you collect him from there later? Or after school club as Warwickshire says.
I am sometimes not sure I should be left alone on my own at this age .......
The opinions here are not that of Separated Dads, but merely a loving father who has been through the process and has come out the other side.
Lol - same here.
Only you can judge if your child would be safe alone for a few hours, i'd have no problem leaving my 12 year old daughter alone, use your judgement and give them a few pointers around safety if anything should happen, i.e. mobile phone with 3 emergency contacts, and escape plan if there happens to be a fire, and never answer the door to anyone, that's my 3. Another one to note is the electric trip panel/consumer unit, show them the workings in case it trips and how to reset ..
(11-05-2018, 06:44 PM)pazzer1973 Wrote: Only you can judge if your child would be safe alone for a few hours, i'd have no problem leaving my 12 year old daughter alone, use your judgement and give them a few pointers around safety if anything should happen, i.e. mobile phone with 3 emergency contacts, and escape plan if there happens to be a fire, and never answer the door to anyone, that's my 3. Another one to note is the electric trip panel/consumer unit, show them the workings in case it trips and how to reset ..

The law only requires a child under 8 to be with an adult on a bus.

When my own son was 10, his Head Teacher when asked by parents about what is a 15 min 2 mile bus trip and short walk, he said if anything the school would encurage it.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.