Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The marvel of the human dad [Article]
"Among our close animal relatives, only humans have involved and empathic fathers. Why did evolution favour the devoted dad?"lose animal relatives, only humans have involved and empathic fathers. Why did evolution favour the devoted dad?
If the media - especially advertising agencies - have any say in it, I guess it's because we're utterly hapless at everything in life if there isn't a mum around to pick up the pieces, right?

(sorry - v cynical but doesn't it just get your goat!)
So now to comment.....

I think the majority of us have experienced "the system" as one that ranges from outright hostility to fathers, to indifference. I have seen fathers here blame everybody and everything, including quite the vitriol against women in general and rather unfairly, feminism.

But - what have we done to actually stop and look at why this attitude is so prevalent, across courts, society, families? The article really points out that until very, very recently - this is really what everyone thought - that fathers were practically tertiary in the support needed for children.

This isn't to say anything will change fast, it won't, but gay rights came around in pretty much a generation, women rights, starting much earlier, over 100 or so years. We can hope that as society becomes more and more used to moving fast, and that's something we can see all around us all the time, the importance of fathers, our recognition as equally important to a child, even though we didn't give birth to them or breast feed them, will come to the fore.

(01-25-2019, 03:16 PM)Fatcat1980 Wrote: If the media - especially advertising agencies - have any say in it, I guess it's because we're utterly hapless at everything in life if there isn't a mum around to pick up the pieces, right?  

(sorry - v cynical but doesn't it just get your goat!)

It does! But that's why I want to change it - every advert that portrays us as BBQing, beer swilling fuckwits should be challenged!
Fortunately there are already people out there that do act on their objections to this image of fathers. But it's a slow trickle. I think the comparison I heard them use in one interview was to say, "let's have adverts with women making a hash of trying to reverse-park cars and see whether we get any complaints about that". Stereotypes seems so acceptable... until they aren't.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interesting article on marriage or the avoidance of it! LTCDAD 2 1,550 10-25-2017, 12:16 PM
Last Post: ProziumDealer