Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Screen time for 6&8?
Hey folks, long time no post Smile

So - screen time - I have my kids 5.5 days / 14 at the moment. I video call them on off weekends and yesterday they told me they had watched 4 films over the weekend - which to me seems more than a little excessive. One, on a Friday after school when they are brain fried is one thing, 4, along with the other screen time of TV and games they got, a little excessive.

Now - I know going and telling my ex, who has a 6 month old baby, that this isn't cool, is going to be pretty tricky. So I suppose I'm asking...

- Should I care?
- Should I do anything?
- What?

Hope you're all well and your lives are as good as they could be, all things considered Smile
You should care and are right to care but whether you'll be able to do anything is probably a different matter. It depends on what kind of relationship you have with your ex (i.e. are you co-parenting?), otherwise she may see it as criticism and take it in the wrong way.

Ultimately, what you do in your time with the kids is up to you and it would work vice versa with the ex. Obviously, this would not be applicable if there are any safeguarding related concerns.
Thanks man :Smile relations have been worryingly good recently - so I am worried about rocking the boat to be honest. She does have a baby, I do understand how hard it is, but still - staring at a screen all day isn't good for anyone.

Getting some crafting going on or learning a musical instrument is a thousand times harder but I sort of feel that parenting is hard, done;t mean you can just stick the idiot box on any old time Smile
Your absolutely right however, if this is a one-off then I would let it go given that things have been amicable. It could just be that the baby was unwell etc... and she needed to put most of her focus on the baby. Not sure if you can offer her some support her by suggesting to take the kids out through the summer to give her some time with the baby - long shot no doubt but she maybe grateful

If the regular TV time becomes the norm then I would certainly raise it with the ex in the right way.
I'm still minor in this field and I want to get to where you are right now Smile but first thing came to my mind is, you are right it is indeed binge watching of Tv, so I would very gently propose to ex if I could take children out for a park or some outdoor activity completely out of own initiative and add the benefit that would bring to the children such as being active and exploring nature and confident when they are outdoor. So appeal to her side of the brain that thinks positively about children's well being whilst ensuring your working relations with her is still intact.
Thanks all - softly softly seems key, going to keep a track of what the kids say and see if it's something that's happening consistently Smile
In my case, PS4 was taken by stbx from my bedroom ( she did not like that child was playing). Asked to return,but no luck. Don't want any drama before first hearing. Will get a camera, incase she will try to take new one.
(04-09-2019, 11:34 PM)AK2018 Wrote: In my case, PS4 was taken by stbx from my bedroom ( she did not like that child was playing). Asked to return,but no luck. Don't want any drama before first hearing. Will get a camera, incase she will try to take new one.

was the ps4 your property?
Hi. Yes it was, still have receipt. We both still under the same roof, can't restrict her access to my bedroom because of the child. It made child upset. I will let her go this time, Cafcass phone interview is next month.
Did they do anything else as well? Have to say that I am guilty of being too lax about screen time these days. But make sure son isn't in the house all day every day. I wouldn't worry too much unless they are literally sat in front of the TV from 8am to 10pm!