Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help needed
Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare bundles for court, I want to be one step ahead of my exs solicitor. I represent myself and she has asked for me to contribute to her fees to prepare bundles but as the applicant I should be preparing these. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(06-06-2019, 11:36 AM)Larri002 Wrote: Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare bundles for court, I want to be one step ahead of my exs solicitor. I represent myself and she has asked for me to contribute to her fees to prepare bundles but as the applicant I should be preparing these. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Inform her that any work she does is only on instruction from your ex.
If you was to pay her, then you become her client, what creates a conflict of interest.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
Your ex has asked you to contribute to her fees.?
Leading the blind to the slaughter comes to mind.

Bundles are fairly straight fwd. With a witness statement with is usually a extended version of a position statement. A chronology of events, with evidence ie exhibits thrown in.

Any help pls feel free to inbox me
Hi there, thank you for your replys.

Basically I was handed a positional statement by my ex wifes solicitor an hour before the first hearing dispute on Wednesday, it was full of errors and was clearly an attempt to get a rise from me, she stated in court it wasnt evidence and claimed she told me this which she did not. Anyway, on the last page the solicitor is stating that if she prepares the bundles for the court then I have to foot half the bill, I physically cant afford to as my money is used to see my boys! This is my 5th time applying to court as my ex threatens to withhold access and my oldest son(8) has suicidal thoughts, is aggressive, threatening to stab me and teachers, he's been out the classroom for nearly a year, and has been diagnosed by an internet doctor as having this condition that the NHS wont put their name to, he is being over medicated due to this, antibiotics every day for the past 6 months! I am being completely alienated which I can prove! My name not being used, other person claiming to be my sons parent, the private hospitals not knowing I exist. Ive raised a Safeguarding referral as have the school. I'm honestly going out my mind here. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am at present answering all the points to this statement as my next hearing is the 17th of June. Thanks again
Below is a link where you will find rules about bundles for court, has the court now ordered you to produce the bundle?

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/proced...d_part_27a

Paragraph 3.1 stands out to me in your case:

A bundle for the use of the court at the hearing shall be provided by the party in the position of applicant at the hearing (or, if there are cross-applications, by the party whose application was first in time) or, if that person is a litigant in person, by the first listed respondent who is not a litigant in person. Where all the parties are litigants in person none of them shall, unless the court otherwise directs, be obliged to provide a bundle, but any bundle which they choose to lodge must be prepared and lodged so as to comply with this practice direction.

If your attending as a LIP then the respondent's solicitor usually produce the bundle as they are represented. I'll reiterate what MarkR said, you should not be contributing anything to your ex's legal fees. Do not let the bundle get submitted to court by the other side without having visibility of the contents.
Hi Leader1978, the courts haven't asked me.to do this but I am anticipating this and want to do it myself and not her side, I also don't want to be forced into paying for half of this as all my.money goes to seeing my children and this will honestly put me in financial difficulties. Thank you for your help.
I was a LIP while my ex was represented, and her solicitor did the bundle. There was never any suggestion that I would pay towards this and the possibility was never brought up in correspondence or in court.

Although in theory it’s not very difficult to do as it’s basically just a photocopied collection of all the relevant documents, I don’t think you should attempt the bundle. As Leader1978 points out, the legal direction on this, that litigants in person are not expected to do it, is quite clear.

Any suggestion from her solicitor that you should pay half the bill if she prepares it is just her trying it on in the hope that she can get some money out of you (possibly at the suggestion of her ex who doesn’t like the thought that she’s going to have to pay for something else). Personally I’d ring up the court to ask their opinion on this (they should tell you the same, that the default position is that the person with legal representation sorts it out), and then write a short note to her solicitor saying what they said and quoting the legal direction for good measure.

You’ve clearly got enough on your plate – don’t give yourself unnecessary extra work. Unless the court has explicitly told you to do it then don’t, and don’t worry either about being made to pay towards this.
(06-09-2019, 11:43 PM)TwoWheels Wrote: I was a LIP while my ex was represented, and her solicitor did the bundle. There was never any suggestion that I would pay towards this and the possibility was never brought up in correspondence or in court.

Although in theory it’s not very difficult to do as it’s basically just a photocopied collection of all the relevant documents, I don’t think you should attempt the bundle. As Leader1978 points out, the legal direction on this, that litigants in person are not expected to do it, is quite clear.

Any suggestion from her solicitor that you should pay half the bill if she prepares it is just her trying it on in the hope that she can get some money out of you (possibly at the suggestion of her ex who doesn’t like the thought that she’s going to have to pay for something else). Personally I’d ring up the court to ask their opinion on this (they should tell you the same, that the default position is that the person with legal representation sorts it out), and then write a short note to her solicitor saying what they said and quoting the legal direction for good measure.

You’ve clearly got enough on your plate – don’t give yourself unnecessary extra work. Unless the court has explicitly told you to do it then don’t, and don’t worry either about being made to pay towards this.

Given what Leader has found on this, my suggestion would be making a complaint to the Legal Services Comission regarding her Solicitor attempting to get you to pay for something what is clearly not down to you.

Also, bring it to the attendtion of the Judge.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
Larri002, the contents of the bundle must be agreed by you.

The way it is done is by receiving the Bundle Main Index and going through it.
Thanks everyone for your help, I have sent a statement to her solicitor and the courts for Monday highlighting my reasons for the emergency court order, I have also answered every point in her statement. I have evidence to produce, can I just take this in a folder and direct the courts to this on Monday as I couldn't email it over?

I'm so nervous for Monday and hope I dont get ripped apart, I'm fighting for what's right here, what's right for our sons! I'm not saying shes a bad mum but she is failing our oldest now who is suffering from M/H and behavioural problems but thinks 6 months of ibuprofen is helping....its not!
Thanks again ?