Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to find out what ex receives in childcare contributions?
Hi All,

not sure if I'm overstepping boundaries. I stopped contributing to nursery fees in February of this year when daughter turned 3 (This was due to me becoming unemployed). I continued paying CM. Ex is now claiming arrears for childcare, I have told her I was not legally bound to pay this however, I would like to contribute again. As I understand she is receiving free hours but I do not know if it is 15 or 30. She will not disclose this information. I contacted the nursery and asked the question, they cannot disclose this information. What other avenues can I explore to find out what she receives?

Thanks
I'm no expert on financials, MarkR is your man but if your paying the correct CM amount and no order states you have to pay anything else, I would think your not liable for it?
If you want to make a contribution, could you assume that she's actually getting 30 hours free childcare and base the amount you contribute on this. If she's only getting 15 hours free then it's up to her to tell you that you need to contribute on this basis.
(06-10-2019, 01:21 PM)Bazeydog Wrote: Hi All,

not sure if I'm overstepping boundaries. I stopped contributing to nursery fees in February of this year when daughter turned 3 (This was due to me becoming unemployed). I continued paying CM. Ex is now claiming arrears for childcare, I have told her I was not legally bound to pay this however, I would like to contribute again. As I understand she is receiving free hours but I do not know if it is 15 or 30. She will not disclose this information. I contacted the nursery and asked the question, they cannot disclose this information. What other avenues can I explore to find out what she receives?

Thanks

The Welfare Benefit Reform Act of 2013 sets out that the main care provider (who gets Child Benefit) is the only parent who can get any help from the state with Child Care Costs.

Entitlement to help via Working Tax Credit is based on her income, and that of any partner she might have.  Tax Credits take an average weeks cost in term time, x 39. They then use an average cost from school holidays if child care is used, x 13.
The total amount between the 2 is then x .7 (to make 70% of it paid back), and divided by 52 or 12, depending on how often she gets paid by them.

If on Universal Credit, , it looks at all the Elements on the claim, what are
Housing,
If single or couple
Amount depending on children you can claim for under UC rules (Capp of 2 in most cases)
If anyone on the claim gets PIP or DLA

With Childcare, its reported when you pay it, and must state what dates the sessions are for.  In the month that the sessions have taken place in, 85% of the cost is added to the UC total.

From the overall amount, where a child is on the claim, they keep the first 287 per month, and then UC goes down by 63% of the Net Income of the person/couple claiming, until no entitlement left.

If the ex decides to locate the child at a place where there is a cost for you to pick up the child for contact, she has to pay.
If she asks you to return the child to a place where there is a cost after contact, it up to her to pay.

Your obligation is to pay CMS as per their calculaton, and for the childs normal costs during contact time. Under the law, you can not be forced to pay more. Your CMS payment in law is considered to be a fair contribution towards her normal day to day costs, taking into account she will get her benefits all year round, when you have contact for part of it.

If she is not entitleld to any help with child care costs, that is due to her household size and income, what is out of your control. Inform her your not paying twice for the same thing, and its covered by CMS.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
(06-10-2019, 01:21 PM)Bazeydog Wrote: Hi All,

Thanks

The free hours she receives is dependant on how many hours she works.   If she works 20 hours a week then she will get 20 hours free childcare.  Any additional hours in childcare above the hours she works will get deducted from her child tax credits, so no point in doing this.
In England, if the parent is working at least 16 hours(a week)then they get 30 hours(per week) of child care when child turn age 3. If the parent is not working or less than 16 hours a week then 15 hours of free childcare per week.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Childcare costs and benefits Fatcat1980 8 1,381 11-01-2018, 03:38 PM
Last Post: Fatcat1980
  CMS and Pension contributions - are you due a refund? Hazy 0 705 12-06-2017, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Hazy
  How much money to give for childcare? inapickle 2 2,611 01-15-2017, 01:18 AM
Last Post: Hazy
  Pension Contributions Bobstar 2 1,773 09-27-2016, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Bobstar
  How can I find out when my son left school? Micky 3 5,826 04-07-2016, 05:31 AM
Last Post: MarkR