Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Address for Child
Hi all.

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere.

My Ex has moved house with our daughter (17) and won't tell me the new address.  There are no issues concerning abusive behaviour etc, we separated and are now divorced.

my daughter rarely replies to facebook messages (I don't have her phone number) but occasionally I get a short reply.  I recently sent her birthday card and asked if she got it  - said no so I asked if they'd moved she said yes (good job I didnt put money  in it!) I asked her for address and she said for me to ask her mother.
I did and got reply on 2nd one - saiying its up to my daughter as she doesnt want to have anything to do with me.  
I'm wary of asking my daughter as I think D doesnt want to upset Ex if she gives it to me.

Any advice? Do I have any rights to know her address as she is U18?

Thanks
(07-11-2019, 05:10 PM)hicky67 Wrote: Hi all.

My Ex has moved house with our daughter (17) and won't tell me the new address.  There are no issues concerning abusive behaviour etc, we separated and are now divorced.

my daughter rarely replies to facebook messages (I don't have her phone number) but occasionally I get a short reply.  I recently sent her birthday card and asked if she got it  - said no so I asked if they'd moved she said yes (good job I didnt put money  in it!) I asked her for address and she said for me to ask her mother.
I did and got reply on 2nd one - saiying its up to my daughter as she doesnt want to have anything to do with me.  
I'm wary of asking my daughter as I think D doesnt want to upset Ex if she gives it to me.

Thanks

The child had rights under The Children Act of 2002.
You had responablities if you had PR.
They both expired on the 16th Birthday, and even before then you had no legal right to know the address.

Its only for Child Support, that the young person is considered to be a Dependent, if they qualify for the Eductation Run On of Child Benefit..

Are you still paying Child Support and if so, how is it arranged? (by CMS, Court or other way)
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
(07-11-2019, 07:22 PM)MarkR Wrote:

Thanks

They both expired on the 16th Birthday, and even before then you had no legal right to know the address.

Its only for Child Support, that the young person is considered to be a Dependent, if they qualify for the Eductation Run On of Child Benefit..

Are you still paying Child Support and if so, how is it arranged? (by CMS, Court or other way)

so your saying regardless of childs age, we have no legal right to know the address of where the child lives>
(07-12-2019, 08:32 AM)Tom_W88 Wrote:

Thanks

so your saying regardless of childs age, we have no legal right to know the address of where the child lives>

Yes. Where an address is not know, to start Court Proceedings their office staff have to have a Judge made an Order requiring DWP, HMRC, Police, the Local Authroity, NHS, DLA and any other goverment agendy to locate the ex.
She then has a choice,
a, Disclose address and have the case moved to her local court
b, Have the case moved to her local court
c, Not disclose, and the case stays at your local court.
Posts made by me are my opinion and any factual information should be checked out. If you do not have a Solicitor, often your local CAB can get you some initial advice.
Very simply..... Why not pay an agency to trace where your daughter lives. It can be done very cheaply if you wait for a couple of weeks for an answer - shop around. It's legal. I just wouldn't let her know that you know where she lives. It just puts your mind at ease to know.
(07-12-2019, 05:40 PM)MarkR Wrote:
(07-12-2019, 08:32 AM)Tom_W88 Wrote:

Thanks

Yes. Where an address is not know, to start Court Proceedings their office staff have to have a Judge made an Order requiring DWP, HMRC, Police, the Local Authroity, NHS, DLA and any other goverment agendy to locate the ex.
She then has a choice,
a, Disclose address and have the case moved to her local court
b, Have the case moved to her local court
c, Not disclose, and the case stays at your local court.

ah thanks for that, wasn't aware of this.  

Can this be the case for finding out where the kids stay with my exes new fella?
(07-11-2019, 07:22 PM)MarkR Wrote: They both expired on the 16th Birthday, and even before then you had no legal right to know the address.

Hi Mark   thanks.
yup paying child support to Ex bank agreed between us when we split.

(07-13-2019, 10:10 PM)Chi21965 Wrote: Very simply..... Why not pay an agency to trace where your daughter lives. It can be done very cheaply if you wait for a couple of weeks for an answer - shop around. It's legal. I just wouldn't let her know that you know where she lives. It just puts your mind at ease to know.

aye - thats the last resort thanks
Basically, it's like this, her address can be known to the court and she can ask thr court not to share it with you. That's after all has been said and done with the court finding out where she lives. I was in that situation but her not being very bright inadvertently disclosed her address in a statement.
in that case do we have to inform her of our address?
(07-16-2019, 08:29 AM)Tom_W88 Wrote: in that case do we have to inform her of our address?

No, she has no legal right to know it.