Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Housing application assistance.
I feel I have just been discriminated against because I am a father, so I would appreciate anyone’s tips or advice on what steps to take next.

I live in social housing, but my family ideally needs a larger home, we are at least 1 bedroom over crowed and that is with people sharing who shouldn’t.

As in another thread, I now get child benefit for one of my children, so our application has that child on. Yet the local authority have turned around and said they won’t count that child because they know I am a separated Dad so they can be considered adequality homed with his mum…

I have full 50/50 shared care, I have the child benefit payment for them. The housing rules state they only count children if you are in receipt of the child benefit because that is their only way of knowing the residence, but because they know my ex, they have used “discretion” to say the child can be adequality homed.

IF a random family separated today, and the father stayed in the family home, and the mum applied for housing with the child benefit in her name, they wouldn’t ask her how many bedrooms the Dad has, they wouldn’t tell her she can’t claim for them because of the Dad, they would help her without question.

Yet as I am male and a father, they can choose to ignore the child benefit rule…  it all seems completely unfair and discriminatory. All advice welcome
I think you were saying on here recently that you’d been in contact with your MP about the Child Benefit issue you’d had. Would it be worth dropping him an e-mail about this housing application issue? The Government seem very keen on equalities and there’s even a Committee, with the rather off-putting name of “Women and Equalities Committee”. Your MP might refer this to the appropriate Minister for response. It’s worth a try if you can do it all by e-mail and it isn’t going to be too much hassle.
(07-15-2019, 11:07 AM)Kate Wrote: I think you were saying on here recently that you’d been in contact with your MP about the Child Benefit issue you’d had. Would it be worth dropping him an e-mail about this housing application issue? The Government seem very keen on equalities and there’s even a Committee, with the rather off-putting name of “Women and Equalities Committee”. Your MP might refer this to the appropriate Minister for response. It’s worth a try if you can do it all by e-mail and it isn’t going to be too much hassle.

Thanks Kate. I have included them in the correspondence, so I hope they will assist me in addressing the issue. Sadly however, I do not feel (or seen evidence of) equality rights being successful when the claimant is male/white. That’s not me trying to be confrontational or racist, VERY far from it, it’s just an anecdotal opinion.

But any other advice or tips people can recommend to help me challenge the decision would be welcomed.
I was just reading the lettings policy of a London borough, which did include several paragraphs about who can be included in a housing application. Even with joint residency orders and child benefit awarded it seems to be down to a “residency test” that the Council apply. Have you had a read through the lettings policy for your local council?
(07-15-2019, 03:11 PM)Kate Wrote: I was just reading the lettings policy of a London borough, which did include several paragraphs about who can be included in a housing application. Even with joint residency orders and child benefit awarded it seems to be down to a “residency test” that the Council apply. Have you had a read through the lettings policy for your local council?

I have, and they knowingly contradict themselves because they do use the benefit as a factor to determine the residency of a child, but later on they also state they can decide a child is adequately homed despite this.

I have thankfully managed to get a Cllr. to meet face to face with them to discuss my case, and challenge the ruling. Sadly however, I do not believe despite this external pressure they will give. Fingers crossed tho. Cheers Kate, much appreciated
Good luck with it Goetia.

I found this case law which you might find interesting. The judge was very careful to say that it shouldn’t be seen as a precedent, and each case must be considered on its own merits, but the decision was to order that the Council reconsider its decision to allocate a 3-bed property to the father and a 1-bed property to the mother, there being a consent order for 50/50 shared care for the 2 children. So in effect the Council would have to reconsider if the children could be included as part of the household of both the father and the mother.

http://www.trownhousingconsultancy.co.uk...en_LBC.htm
(07-16-2019, 08:18 PM)Kate Wrote: Good luck with it Goetia.

I found this case law which you might find interesting. The judge was very careful to say that it shouldn’t be seen as a precedent, and each case must be considered on its own merits, but the decision was to order that the Council reconsider its decision to allocate a 3-bed property to the father and a 1-bed property to the mother, there being a consent order for 50/50 shared care for the 2 children. So in effect the Council would have to reconsider if the children could be included as part of the household of both the father and the mother.

http://www.trownhousingconsultancy.co.uk...en_LBC.htm

Thank you Kate! That is amazing. I am still awaiting their final decision after I challenged it, so I might have to try this path.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LEGAL AID ASSISTANCE AFTER DOMESTIC ABUSE ANNONR 2 1,786 07-31-2017, 11:06 AM
Last Post: ANNONR