Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
obtaining school info
Morning,

feel like I'm banging my head on a brick wall here!

I used the template provided on here to send off a letter to DD school asking for all correspondence to be sent to me also and most importiantly everything they have regarding her current behaviour problems (they advised may have ADHD) - after chasing 3 times they finally acknowledged they have received the letter and I've just had a email asking what information I want!  

I can't think straight as thought the first letter was very very clear asking for all notes from meetings, appointments they are aware of and any letters they have received from dr, mum etc  - how else can I write it to ensure I get the full information her mother has already had - I'm now very suspicious they are wanting to hide something or not include so is there a phrase or terminology I can use they can't get out of sending me everything??     

Cry Rolleyes Exclamation
I’d follow the Information Commissioner’s advice on this: https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/you...of-access/ and https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/sch...pils-info/. As for ensuring you get the full information her mother has already had, once the school has replied write back to them asking them to confirm that they have sent you everything, and if they haven’t then details of what has been withheld and why.

If they aren’t playing along or are being obstructive, follow the ICO’s advice on making a complaint and if necessary report them direct to the ICO. You could also try asking for an appointment so that you can consult her file yourself in person.
Thanks TwoWheels - I have checked and the school is an Academy so I think falls under slightly different rules to comprehensives but your link to the ICO is now bookmarked should I need it!
(09-25-2019, 08:29 AM)MikesWife Wrote: Morning,

feel like I'm banging my head on a brick wall here!

I used the template provided on here to send off a letter to DD school asking for all correspondence to be sent to me also and most importiantly everything they have regarding her current behaviour problems (they advised may have ADHD) - after chasing 3 times they finally acknowledged they have received the letter and I've just had a email asking what information I want!  

I can't think straight as thought the first letter was very very clear asking for all notes from meetings, appointments they are aware of and any letters they have received from dr, mum etc  - how else can I write it to ensure I get the full information her mother has already had - I'm now very suspicious they are wanting to hide something or not include so is there a phrase or terminology I can use they can't get out of sending me everything??     

Cry Rolleyes Exclamation

hello were did you find it on here thanks
It’s on the main page, not the forum .... Let me know if you can’t find it and I’ll pm it
will follow this thread with interest. As a side note, I have first hand experience of ICO. The ex,s boyfriend tampered with my car. It was caught on cctv. I spent a lot of time and effort jumping through hoops filling out forms. In the end I got the official reply. " In this case we regret to inform you we will not be releasing details"
So be aware, sometimes its someone,s choice to release info. Not guaranteed
So - we've had some stuff from the school (copies of completed forms) but not any of the other info I requested such as dates of meetings and copies of notes to go with the forms/meetings, attendance record! Should I request again or just write a complaint? School is an academy btw, so comes under remit of ICO I beleive
Probably best to give them a chance to get themselves out of this one first before going down the formal complaint route, as that could take ages. I’d write back to them pointing out that they appear to have withheld some stuff that you asked for, and that if they are withholding anything relating to your daughter then you would like a list of exactly what is being withheld and the reasons why. You might want to quote from the government guidance for schools (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...onsibility) that clearly states that “school and local authority staff must treat all parents equally”.

If that gets nowhere, I’d suggest the next step would be to request a meeting with the head to ask them direct what they’re playing at (in case it’s a junior member of staff currently making these decisions) before complaining to the governors or getting the ICO involved.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Access to School info Russell1972 12 8,164 11-19-2016, 04:00 PM
Last Post: NewHill123