Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joint mortgage
Will she communicate at all? Might be worth sending her a polite formal email explaining that snow the fixed mortgage rate has come to an end the mortgage as gone up by an additional £400 a month which you cannot afford. To prevent the risk of repossession and thus loss of her equity, you seek her consent to remortgage the house to a better deal. End with. “Please can you confirm you will consent to a remortgage “.

Then if she agrees in writing but then won’t do it, you have evidence that she agreed to this - which may help.

Another alternative is to accept she won’t play ball and get a couple of lodgers in to help with the extra mortgage cost.
While you are sorting out finances is there a possibility to have an interest only mortgage for say 2 years? That will give you time to get everything done without losing more equity should she claim based on house price now.
There is no communication whatsoever in fact I tried to communicate when she left last year but I was accused of harassment so i stopped. I having to do fact finding hearing due to these nonsense. I know for sure if I ask her to agree to remortgage she would ignore it and let me suffer financially. I am hoping when it comes to financial settlement I know what the house was worth at the time of separation and how much equity we had. I spent 100k renovating the place so she shouldn’t benefit from what I did to the house after she left.

The only problem is I don’t want to pay extra 400 quid a month just on interest . Speaking with mortgage provider and was told I cannot switch to interest only product. I am not sure if that’s true or not.
try and broker and see what they say re the interest only side of things. A friend has just done to be able to buy somewhere following a divorce and made the difference to buying a 1 bed flat or as they have now managed a 2 bed flat.

I would also make sure you have the the valuation at time of separation in writing, otherwise it may be dismissed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Joint mortgage NewHill123 2 1,806 10-29-2017, 06:14 AM
Last Post: MarkR
  Costs of rented common house / joint mortgage LTCDAD 2 1,627 10-19-2017, 07:02 AM
Last Post: LTCDAD