Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When to change locks on house help ??
A friend of mine has recently separated from her husband and he moved out around mid March.

He comes to the house to pick up children but let’s himself in and has on occasion made contact with the children to initiate a reason to turn up at the house.

The issue being that he won’t give back his key and it’s quite worrying for my friend that at any point on the day or night he can access the house.

I guess the question is, at what point can she change the locks without any legal implications ??

Thanks
(05-10-2020, 04:16 PM)danwel Wrote: A friend of mine has recently separated from her husband and he moved out around mid March.

He comes to the house to pick up children but let’s himself in and has on occasion made contact with the children to initiate a reason to turn up at the house.

The issue being that he won’t give back his key and it’s quite worrying for my friend that at any point on the day or night he can access the house.

I guess the question is, at what point can she change the locks without any legal implications ??

Thanks

My understanding is ( I think) that mark r ( moderator) said if ex husband left house for 28 days and has a place to live elsewhere she can change locks
Thanks for the info i will pass that on to her
If it hasnt been the persons main residence for 30 days then you can change the locks, if the person is still named on anything around the house they can be treated like a "landlord" access wise I believe.
The opinions here are not that of Separated Dads, but merely a loving father who has been through the process and has come out the other side.
Some info below. Sounds a bit “depends “ but generally no the other person has a right to enter if they own the house.

Even if it was legal to change the locks that could lead to repercussions and problems with the ex and knock on effect with the kids. So if it can be verbally agreed it would be better - ie if he accepted separate homes and privacy and agreed to give her his keys. Of course that wouldn’t mean he hadn’t got a spare set. So then it would be about how reasonable Or trustworthy the person is etc.

I am just wondering if putting a big bolt on the inside is different! Ie locks haven’t been changed but bars entry. Prob just the same as changing the locks though. Assume the house is still in joint names.

Maybe she could write a well worded email - polite , not high handed etc - asking for agreement so it’s recorded.

Eg Dear Ex

Just writing to you about the slightly delicate matter of living in separate homes now and having our own privacy at home. As I now live here with the children I would really appreciate it if we keep child handover time at the doorstep and ask you not to just come in the house any more. I realise it must be difficult when you lived here before and the children live here but just ask that we can respect each other’s privacy now please. In the same way I would not enter your current home unless invited.

I hope we can agree on this and believe it is quite usual for people to have handover chats on the doorstep. It will also help the children adjust easier to “Dad’s home” and “Mum’s home”. I am concerned that it can be harder for them to see you back here in the house as then it’s harder when you go again and they go through the whole reminder of separation again.

Please can you let me know if this can be agreed between us. I would rather we could do this on a reasonable level, respecting each other’s space, than it get awkward.

Regards name

https://www.stowefamilylaw.co.uk/blog/20...moved-out/

He will immediately think she has got a new man of course!

I think some people think - hey I still own this house, I’m paying the mortgage and the kids are in there. If a polite email doesn’t work then it’s a record of having tried if it does come to changing the locks .