My wife, from whom I separated 20 months ago, has recently moved from the house she was renting in the same town as me to a town 11 miles away. I have just found out from my child that she is moving my 7-year-old daughter to a school in her new town from September.
Do I have any say in whether my child moves schools? We have informally agreed 50/50 shared custody of our four children and my daughter moving to this school will impact on my ability to have her to stay overnight Mon-Fri, and being able to take her to school. Many thanks for any advice you can give.
When you separate from your partner there is always a tug of war about who can make decisions concerning your children's wellbeing. Finding out through your child that your ex is making an important decision without you is frustrating, and you probably feel like your opinions are not being taken into consideration. Not only has your ex moved your children further away, but now she is trying to change other important parts of their life.
Before taking any action, it's important to understand what legal authority you have in decisions about your daughter's education using our free Rights Checker.
It is unfair of your wife to make this decision without talking to you first, as you should be consulted about your child moving schools. As you were married to the mother of your child you will have legal responsibility for your child. This means that have a responsibility to provide for your child but also that you are entitled to a have a say in their upbringing and have a Right To Be Kept Informed Of Important Developments In Her Life.

Generate a professional letter to your ex, solicitor or school. Takes 2 minutes.
Try our Letter Builder free, here on this site →Usually the distinction is that the resident parent has responsibility for everyday decisions, while the non-resident parent needs to be consulted about bigger decisions regarding their upbringing. Changing schools can be argued as an everyday decision or a major one, but either way, as you have child arrangements your situation is a bit different as there is no one resident parent.
Although it is good to stay out of the courts, it may be better for you to formalize a child arrangements order so that your rights can be recognized. As this decision will impact on your ability to care for your child it is a major one and you should be able to fight against it if you want to. Tell your wife about your concerns but, if she is unwilling to cooperate, it may be a good idea to consult your lawyer as you have a good legal case.
You do not say what your relationship with your wife is like but try talking to her (read our article on Developing An Amicable Relationship With Your Ex). You should not be hearing about things like this through your child and if you agree to a child arrangements order, she has to realise that you need to be consulted about any decisions that she makes. Setting the ground rules now will help you both be clear about your rights and responsibilities as you move forward.
Your situation may be slightly different. ask a question below ↓ and our editorial team will reply with our advice.
I've a question directly related to the covid 19 situation, my ex is a childminder who is caring for 6 other kids from different houses besides mine, she has also sent them back to school as a key worker. Due to this I've had to restrict them coming to me on overnights until this is over. Is anyone else in the same situation or have any advice.
The relationship is as you can probably tell quite acrimonious as we are in the middle of financial discussions.
Without telling my ex father we are not married but he has Prenatal responsibility we have a court order but it doesn’t state I can’t move school
I have inform him now of the new school and details but now saying I should by law told him before I move
Is this true did I need his permission?
I am the father of a 10 year old daughter. I went to court when She was one and gained court orders which progressed to 2 nights a week when She was two.
Since then we have had a few mediation agreements drawn up and it has slowly progressed to where it is now 50/50. Whilst we have had disagreements everything was running smoothly and the plan was followed consistently.
Two weeks ago when She was with Her Mother I was told by Her Mother She no longer wants to continue 50/50 and that my Daughter was too frightened to speak to me on the phone. It is a shock as the night before I had spoke to my daughter on the phone and She had agreed we would go to the Zoo together next visit.
I have tried repeatedly to contact my daughter through her Mother to speak to Her. Her Mother rarely responds to SMSs or email. Nothing by Phone. Only once every few days saying She is not wanting to talk with me or see me. This is a repeat of the Mothers behavior before I got the Court Orders a long time ago. Only then it was to find out How She was or if I could see Her.
I have had a mediator ring Her and She has refused Mediation so a certificate has been issued.
I have approached the school and informed them I may visit my Daughter there when it starts again. They agreed that should not be a problem as they think I am a good parent.
My worries are apart from the damage being done to my Daughter, that the Mother may change schools without my permission.
It is a most distressing period for Me as I had a close relationship with my Daughter and I feel the same as if She has died and their has been no Funeral.
dose anyone have any ideas what i can do i was hoping she might come looking as well as i am on her birth certificate please help
My daughter wishes to move to where her boyfriend is from 45 minutes up the road from where she is now due a a good job offer. A change of school will be required for her child with her ex. He originally agreed to the move and visiting was all sorted out. My daughter went ahead and has now got a new house lined up.
But at the weekend she received a solicitors letter from her ex boyfriend's solicitor stating that he opposes the move and has accused my daughter of mental abuse of their child by stating that she told their son if he doesn't move he wont get to see his step brother with whom he has lived with for over a year and they have a really good bond. My daughter has never ever said this at all and never would.
A court case has now been arranged in July as due to him accusing her of mental abuse there can be no mediation so goes straight to a court case. My daughter would have liked to have gone to mediation to try and sort this out first. Can anyone offer advice on what options are available to her?
My oldest needs to select a secondary school. There is a perfectly (in fact very good) suitable school nearby and his primary school is a feeder to it. I want my son to go there. All his friends are also going there.
My ex however has been investigating private schools. I’ve told her I can not afford this (under our 50:50 arrangement no maintence is paid) and that the local state school is more than suitable.
The deadline for applications is end of October and we have our first discussion at the end of this week. Knowing my ex she will just disagree with me whatever I propose. What I don’t understand is under a shared responsibility set up can I veto the choice. We’ve already spent tens of thousands on court and this just seems totally unnecessary. Let alone the complexities of getting one kid to private school 8 miles away whilst the other one to primary school for the same time.
Any suggestions?
I had a child from a one night stand several years ago. His mother and I have always been on good terms, and I am on the birth certificate as his father. We've always been friendly and came and went with one another with regards to childcare etc.
A few years ago she moved to another town with her then new boyfriend, with whom she has another child. My son was put into school in this town and is happy and settled there. my wife and I have recently bought a house in this town to be closer to my son and be more involved in his schooling etc.
HIs mother has now split with her former partner and is planning to move back to her home town with my son, taking him out out of school and into a new one. Do I have any legal recourse to stop this from happening?
Me and my ex partner have just been through a lengthy custody battle which finished in Feb. We have shared custody of our 2yr old son whom currently gos to Nursery 2 days a week where hes happy and settled. My ex is now telling me when my sons 3 hes changing his nursery and he has to go 3 days a week so id lose one of my days if i agreed. I told him i dont want this and theres no need to change and now he's telling me he'll take me back to court as the government states a 3yr old has to go 3 days a week which im sure isn't true. Any advise?
My Partners ex has decided to take their Son out of School to home School him without discussing it with my Partner and the first we heard about it was a phone call from the School to ask if my Partner knew!
My Partner has Parental Responsibility due to his Son being born after 2003.
His Son also stays with us for 10 days a Month too.
Is the Mother allowed to just take him out of School to home School him if my Partner totally objects to it?
Recently the school has fallen into special measures and this has now gone on for 2 yes. My daughter has asked to leave the school and also feels she doesn't feel close to any of her schools friends. It has reached the point that she cries a lot about school and is distressed.
I have spoken to another school and they are happy to take her. Ahead of talking to her mum about it I'm concerned she will say no on the grounds she just wants her near in the week. Where do I stand and if my daughter insists she wants to leave, can she?
She currently attends nursery where I live (and she used to live) and has another year there of pre school starting in September. The court order does specifically state that she must still go to nursery. Whilst it doesnt specifically state this, the magistrates did say she must still go there to maintain the relationships with her peers (friends) and teachers.
My ex has recently contacted me after moving a few miles away to a different town that she has applied for a place at pre school at a school she wants her to go to and that her place has been accepted and because she doesnt want to travel anymore to her current nursery and that she will be starting there in September.
I think that it is in his best interests, as per the court order for him to remain where he is. Additionally, the school she has chosen is not one I would like him to ultimately go to.
Last time in court she refused to go to mediation and will not compromise.
Can I stop this from happening? What is the best route forward?
I want to move about 300miles away to my family.can i do so with kids and without my husbands permission and without him taking legal action against me? Do i need to do anything first?im scared that if he finds out he might harm me.can i slso change school without his permission.thank you
If she does this will be his 4th school in about 5 years is there anything I can do to stop his education being disrupted
My ex wants to change my sons school as she has taken a council flat 8 miles from the school.
I want to prevent her from doing this there has been a history of my son being moved around and I feel that a further change , will be to the detriment of his education and also his well being.
I live a short walk from the school and am able to have him during the week to enable him to continue to attened his current school.She has recently been driving him to school with no insurance and tax and has subsequently had her car clamped , and is using her on /off boyfriends car as a means of getting him to school when she has him.
What order do I need from the court to stop her taking him out of his current school , and are the courts likely to grant my request ?
Since all this as happen ive taken a back seat in fighting with her to see it would be better for the kids because it her way or nothing.We now both got new partner and living new lives i still get to see the kids on the agreement we made and ive even took the aboard on holiday and have taken away on many weekend and she has now just drop a bomb on me and told me that her and her new boyfriend who only been with for 12 months has been posted to ireland for the next 7 years due him beening the army and she taking the kids with her to live and is moving in 4 week time . My ex and her new partner have planed all this behide my back i have not been consulted or given any information about where they are going to live in ireland or what school they have look at what support they kids have got over there due to both of them not having no family over nor have thought about how am going to get to see them and how and who is going to paid for me travelling to and from liverpool to ireland and where am going to stay when am over there . I do not agree with moving kids away from all there family and friend and school to a place where there no support for them what affect it will have on thier education and how my ex wife is going to support the kids financial when she got no job over there. The kids have never been over to see where they are going to live or have been told the bigger picture on what affect it will have on not seeing all there family whats in place for them if they dont like it. Is there any way i can stop them from going because i dont think its the best intrest for the kids moving them so far from their father and family and school and i think it will only benafit her so she can be with her boyfriend ( i am on the birth certiticate and i have parental responibilty )
I collect my partners daughter from school every Wednesday and every other Friday, I also do the school runs on the mornings she is with us after an overnight stay, I have been trying to arrange Easter contact and we are now at our wits end as his ex-partner has informed us that she has placed her daughter into holiday clubs for the duration without again consulting us.
Ask Separated Dads a question
Ask our editorial team a question and we will reply with our advice. Tell us as much about your situation as you can: the more detail you give, the more useful our answer can be.
You do not need to use your real name. Please do not include your full address, phone number, email address, or the names of other people. We may edit or remove identifying details for privacy and legal reasons.
Comments are moderated before publication.